Roseglow 🌹 Longer update

Roseglow is AMAZING. She is strong. She is a fighter. I can’t stress how unbelievable this mare is to have come this far. She’s got a little ways to go yet, but it should be a piece of cake for her from here on out compared to what she’s battled through these past couple weeks.

As many of you may recall, the initial impaction was estimated to be the size of two foals. That’s right. TWO. FOALS. So large it was dangerous to operate on, and thus we did our best to try to resolve it medically.

After over two weeks of dousing this thing with fluids from every angle, it had shifted and gotten smaller but just wouldn’t give. On Wednesday evening, I got the call that part of Roseglow’s colon was starting to twist. The weight of the remaining impaction was in a bad spot, and while it wasn’t a strangulating twist, it could become one. We were at a crossroads.

The good news? The impaction was much smaller than it had been initially. The bad news? The surgery would be far riskier than normal. Roseglow had been on 24/7 IV fluids for over two weeks. She had also been on intermittent NG fluids and rectal fluids. She was SATURATED. She had also lost a significant amount of weight, since she couldn’t eat. She had foaled and then nearly immediately coliced. She was weak and tired, understandably a little annoyed at Prim at times but oh so patient. And although risky, surgery now would be her only chance.

Prim and Roseglow this morning

What they found surprised everyone. After all that fluid – 5L per day via IV, let alone NG and rectal fluids – the impaction was still huge and at least part of it was dry as a bone. No foreign body, no stones, just dried, rock hard manure. Her surgeon said the remaining impaction was the size of his 18 month old child. They spent over two hours slowly and carefully working it over, gently breaking it apart bit by bit and flushing her system. Ever so carefully, because the tiniest slip, a little bit too much pressure on the colon wall in its over-saturated and fragile state could have caused a perforation and ended her life.

Roseglow took a long time to get up after surgery. I wasn’t the only one feeling sick with worry, her doctors and techs were feeling it right along with me. At the end of the day, it seems like our sweet mare just needed a nice long nap, because when they finally decided she needed to get up NOW, she stood up easily and uneventfully.

We visited Roseglow briefly late last night so we could see with our own eyes she was up. I went back this morning. She still has a bright expression on her face, and her muzzle is off. There’s a hay bag for her to nibble if she wants, and she’s been offered some grass. She’s a bit hesitant to eat right now, and we all suspect her throat is a bit sore from the tubes. I was rewarded with the sweetest sight when she was brought a warm, soupy mash. Uninterested at first, she checked it out after a couple minutes and then she slowly sipped, and sipped again 💗💗💗

First slurps to recovery

If you would like to make a donation, there are a few options. Direct donations to Venmo (@asb_own_me) or PayPal (clicking that link will take you directly to my Contact Park Equine Hospital at (859) 873-7275 to make a payment directly to the account. If you choose to contact Park directly, please ask to donate to account #16309 for Roseglow 🌹Donate to the Facebook fundraiser. Our larger sale items can be found here, and we also have a few horses for sale.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s